The impact of social media is huge.
Platforms like Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram are growing by the day. By the end of 2020, Facebook alone had 1.88 billion daily active users.
With such a wide reach, these networks are in constant and rapid evolution, adjusting their algorithms every day. It’s tough to keep on top of all these changes and know what they mean for your social media presence.
To give you a leg up, we’ve sifted through all the info and put together some numbers and stats you can use to optimize your posts on Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Facebook boasts over 8 billion users worldwide
- The Organic Reach of a Facebook post is 2%
- The average engagement rate is 0.96%—we can tribute this to the algorithm’s growing preference for sponsored content
- A rate of 7% to 10% is excellent
- Facebook users spend an average of 34 minutes per day on the platform
- 74% of users use Facebook for professional purposes
- Compared to images, videos on Facebook generate 16% more engagement
- At 12.17%, videos have a greater reach than photos (11.53%), links (9.32%), and status updates (5.09%)
- Facebook posts with images have 3 times more engagement than those with just words
- 85% of Facebook videos are viewed without sound
- LinkedIn has over 756 million members in more than 200 countries
- Every month, 130,000 articles are published on LinkedIn
- An engagement rate of 2% to 5% is considered good—this means Internet users are interacting with your content. Beyond 5% is considered excellent. This means that your community is active and boosting your page’s reputation.
- 30% of LinkedIn page engagement comes from employees
- The ideal length of a message is 16 to 25 words for B2B sectors and 21 to 25 words for B2C sectors
- 57 million companies, including 2 million SMBs have a LinkedIn presence
- You can reach 60% of your unique audience with 20 posts per month
- Adding an image to your post can increase your comments by 98%
- In 2020, the average rate of engagement on Instagram was 4.4%
- On average, users do not see 70% of their feed
- Instagram audiences are more engaged from Monday to Thursday, 8 to 9 a.m. and at 5 p.m.
- Images with blue as their dominant colour get 24% more likes than images that are primarily red
- Photos that feature faces get 38% more likes than photos without faces
- Posts with geolocating get 79% more engagement
- On average, posts with at least one hashtag get 12.6% more engagement
- On Instagram, 50% of captions and comments contain at least one emoticon
- The most common frequency for brands on Instagram is 11 to 20 times per month
- 500 million tweets are published every day
- Tweets that contain images get 18% more clicks, 89% more likes, and 150% more retweets
- The ideal length for a tweet is 100 characters
- Click rate is highest on Wednesdays
- Tweets that consist of hashtags get two times more engagement—clicks, retweets, saved as favourites, and replies
💡 Did you know?
Your engagement rate is your greatest indicator for how your post will perform. It reflects the number of interactions (likes, clicks, shares, or comments) divided by the organic reach (number of people who saw the post in their news feed). A solid engagement rate proves that you have an active community of qualified clients and prospects with a strong desire to interact with your brand.